Famlies Babies Weddings Singles Couples Groups Seniors

An ordinary gift that empowers and influences

  • Wednesday, December 2, 2009
  • Tracey Honess
  • Labels:
  • To read is to empower...
    To empower is to write...
    To write is to influence...
    To influence is to change...
    To change is to live...

    I have been thinking a lot lately about the privilege and advantage I have in being able to read and write. I must admit it is an area in my life I take for grant daily. Most of us simply learn the skills of reading and writing from a young age on up. I read signs, instructions, emails, letters, books, ect. without thinking about it. It wasn't till I lived in another country for a season of life that I realized not everyone had been taught this gift of reading and writing. Some live there whole life not experiencing this joy. I have been pondering on it lately especially while working with some students who struggle in this area. I think nothing of it that I am able to pick up a book and completely disappear into it's pages. I am able to go into an amazing world of adventure and discovering by mirly sitting in my seat....all because I can read. I can not even count the amount of times I have read something that so greatly influenced me that it called for change in my everyday life. Because I can write I am able to expresses my heart and thoughts without opening my mouth yet I'm still known. With these abilities I am a different person and I am able to impact others. I honestly can not remember who it was that taught me to read and write. I suppose a combination of teachers in my early elementary years, along with my parents. It appears to be a natural thing, at least you would think so in our culture, but after thinking on it a bit, I view it as a gift they give to me. A gift that I will use every day of my life. I was reading statics recently that said 42 million American adults can't read at all. 50 million are unable to read at a higher level that is expected of a fourth or fifth grader, 20 percent of high school seniors can be classified as being functionally illiterate at the time they graduate and about 1 out of 7 can't read. It creates in me a desire to teach others the joys of reading and writing. It is a gift that allows me to influence and impact those around me. I am truly grateful to know how to read and write, in even more than one language. May I use this ordinary treasure to change the world around me. Thanks to those who taught me along the way, your patience with me as a child has payed off. Very aware today that I am blessed even in small ways I don't realize, may I steward them well.

    Posted via email from The Unfolding Journey